Dr. Claudia Aguirre has a Ph.D. in Neuroscience from USC, is a mind-body and skincare expert, spokesperson, and TEDMED contributor. Her extensive research and knowledge on skin care has been extremely eye-opening and puts a lot of things into perspective. This speech really captivated me and educated me about the state of skin in the world we live in today. Take a look at her explanation of the “radical behavior of skin.”
Here are some Highlights:
- There was an alarming trend in the rise of skin sensitivities during the recession
- As a result – More people in the dermatologist offices & facialist chair
- In particular, there was a rise in inflammatory conditions such as eczema and psoriasis.
- Many thought it was due to the rise in stress, lifestyle, or increased pollution
- As a neuroscientist, she realized there’s a significant connection between the brain and the skin
- She mentions three people that had certain skin breakouts, and how their medicine stopped working at one point.
The skin has the most intricate and sophisticated systems that were once under the sole domain of the brain. ~ Dr. Claudia Aguirre
- The stress axis found in our nervous system is ALSO found in the skin
- Stress often shows up on our skin first – yet we dismiss this!
- When we miss cue’s our body is expressing to us, its tantamount to repressing emotion.
- Questions whether the skin has untapped potential that we are not aware of –
Conventional medicine treated the symptoms for a little bit, but it did nothing for the long term. Now we can continue to put out little fires here and there, but it’s not until you find the source of the problem where you can really get rid of your issue. ~ Dr. Claudia Aguirre
- “Listen to your skin”