I absolutely love this movement and strongly stand behind the meaning of it. The Teal Pumpkin Project was created to raise awareness for those who have severe food allergies and/or intolerances. The idea is to promote inclusion to all those who treat-or-treat. Also, this is a great alternative for those parents who don’t want to encourage candy/sweets/junk food that has contributed to childhood obesity.
The best part is that it’s super easy to get involved! Here’s how:
- Paint or purchase a teal pumpkin (Or you can just print out a sign)
- Place it outside your home
- Before Halloween purchase non-candy Halloween toys or crafts
- Add your home address to the Teal Pumpkin Project Participation Map
- Alert others about the cause, via social media, school, and word of mouth
It’s that simple!
Alternatives to candy:
- mini playdough
- mini slinkies
- bouncy balls
- pens, pencils, crayons, markers (Halloween themed)
- glow sticks
- spider rings/vampire fangs
The possibilities are endless, not to mention it might actually be cheaper than candy if you buy in bulk. If you want more information there are tons of websites that have specifics such as foodallergy.org and TheEveryMom.
*Teal Pumpkin Photo Credit – Squirrelly Minds DIY Sequin Massage Pumpkin